Friday, March 26, 2010

Magic Touch?

What seems like an eternity ago (but in reality was a little over 2 years ago), we bought an antique dining room table and chairs from a local consignment store. We really liked the circa 1920s set and couldn't wait until we could refinish both the wood and the completely worn out upholstery. Unfortunately, the only thing that we managed to get done with the set was pay for it to be stripped of old stain (which was the best $300 we ever spent)... but time got away from us. Between having 2 kids, multiple TDYs and deployments and I guess, life - the table and chairs have sat unused and unfinished since we bought them in late 2006.
After we had the stain stripped, Brian did remove all the old, worn fabric and tacks. That is as far as we got...
... until recently. Not only do I have a very talented and skilled carpenter for a husband who can build and pretty much do anything I can dream up - I also have gifted FIL and MIL who never cease to amaze me with what they can do as well. All credit has to be given to the two of them for taking this project and running with it. Had it not been for them, my dining room would still be the "storage" and "packing" area in the house. Between the two of them, they sanded, stained, bought the necessary tools and items needed to reupholster the chairs (BTW, the chairs required a 7-layer method because of the style and age). As a final touch, Mary helped me pick out fabric for the chairs and some curtains she would end up making for both the dining room and adjacent living room windows. The final products are amazing. I can't believe how good everything turned out. Now I just need some last little accessories for the rooms. They certainly have the magic touch! Take a peek...






No comments: