Thursday, March 29, 2012

Silver Lining

As I've been mentioning the last 2 weeks or so, the kiddos and I have been planning a trip down to California via a military Space-A flight.  Because the projected flights are only announced 72 hours in advance, and are subject to change without notice, one can imagine that you must be flexible with your travel plans as well as time on your hands to make any such trip.  The trade off is the flight is free and most often a direct flight.  With me not teaching this year and Thomas not in kindergarten yet, our schedule is far more flexible than it ever has been, or frankly, ever will be again.

With all that said, earlier this week, there was an announced flight to Travis AFB (just outside of Sacramento/Oakland/San Francisco) for this morning.  I immediately made the call that this was the flight we were going to try and get on.  I told my Aunts/Uncles/cousins that the Hecks were heading their way and we would be there by Thursday afternoon.  I got to packing the bags, Brian made rental car reservations for me, trying to finish up another M.Ed paper that is due next week potentially when I will  still be gone, and making last minute arrangements for our departure.  I made sure that Thomas, Abby and I talked about flying on a military plane (they dubbed it a "soldier plane") and how it might be a little different than a regular passenger plane.  I let them pack their own backpacks (although I had final say on what went in them) and pick out their clothes. 

With all of this done, I made ONE final phone call last night around 10:15pm to the passenger terminal (aka: military airport for you civilians) to double check the showtime and availability.  And wouldn't you know... they shifted the flight time from Thursday morning to Friday morning. *sigh*  Figures.  It's the nature of the beast.  Whether its Space-A flights or your hubby leaving on/returning home from a deployment... military flights change all the time.  You just have to go with the flow and expect that and try to look on the bright side and find the silver lining:
  • we slept in
  • the kids & I went by the passenger terminal and got to check out the amenities... inside play area, mother/nursing rooms, huge snack areas, nice TV common areas, Alaska wildlife displays, etc.
  • realized that I would have forgotten a few essential kid items (and have since packed them) - baby monitor, nightlight for where the kids sleep, lullaby music, and jacket for myself.
  • went to the post office to pick up a package that we missed being delivered yesterday - and then opened it up to find lots of goodies from Grannie & Pop!  Thank you!!!!!
  • enjoying a sunny Alaskan spring day where temperatures are in the mid-40s... can you say beautiful?
  • one more evening with Daddy before we go!
There is no doubt we are looking forward to our flight (fingers crossed) tomorrow - it will not only be Marilyn's first airplane ride but every one's first C-5 military aircraft ride.  Needless to say, we are all excited.  But what we are much more excited about is seeing family.  So, Brennans & Fieberlings & Sullivans... we will be there soon... promise!


1 comment:

Danifred said...

I had no idea that you could get flights through the military. So cool. I hope you are having/ had a great time!