Thursday, March 29, 2012

I ran. I did run. I will run. Always.

No, this isn't me.
Instead, this is someone clearly here in Alaska (or in a place like Alaska) that is a runner.
I'm a runner.  Well, maybe that is a stretch.  Let me start again... I like to run.  Wait... that really isn't entirely true.  I like the empowering & freeing feeling I have when I run.  I like how it is the ONLY form of exercise that I truly feel like I got a great workout in.  I like what the results are after getting on a routine schedule - firmer muscles, more endurance, weight loss, & feeling so much stronger and confident.  However, I dislike the early morning wake ups to go log some miles.  I dislike the sore knees, legs and feet the following day(s).  Lastly, I don't like that I haven't committed to any kind of schedule in the last 1.5 years.  Not since the the summer of 2010 have I been on a regular running routine (granted I was pregnant for some of this time... I'm NOT now and the snow is melting).

So... I have very few excuses left.
Brian made my running shoes into studded running shoes like his and they are AMAZING on any slick surface like packed snow or ice (no slipping at all).
Matter of fact, early this week I laced my shoes up and went out for a few short miles. 
It was such a great feeling to be running.  It was the first time since October that I had run outside and also logged any type of considerable run in the last few months. 
I ran by myself without pushing a jogging stroller) or having to be concerned with Thomas riding his bike next to me.  It was just me.  Me and my music.  Me and the fresh air.  I know this sounds so cliche and corny... but it was almost emotional.
I say emotional because I really want to get back on the horse and be a runner.  I want to make running a part of my schedule.  So... I'm going to do just that.  Michelle is going to run again.  Several times a week - be it with a stroller of kids & a bike rider with me or all alone with just myself - I'm going to get my butt back in gear so that I can feel the best I possibly can.

May 2010
A family affair




On a selfish note, I know that running helps me lose weight.  I'm only about 10 lbs off my pre-pregnancy Marilyn weight (but already I'm lighter than my weight before Thomas & Abbigail were each born).  The breastfeeding for the last 10 months has certainly helped suck the pregnancy weight off... but if I expect to look like I did here in Key West (May 2010) with my sexy husband... I need to get running again so my body is reminded of what it can accomplish when it works hard.  Make no mistake about it, after having 3 children, and chasing and playing with them everyday...I'm in good shape and fairly strong.  But I want to be in the best shape I can be (summer of 2010 was the best since high school)... and for me... that takes running.
Alaska runner - rain, snow or shine
October 2011

No comments: