Thursday, November 17, 2011

Nicknames

For the record I'm OK with nicknames and shortened versions of names.  I, however, never had a nickname because my mother refused to let anyone call me by a shortened version of "Michelle", namely "Shelly."  Auughhh... doesn't that just sound awful?  Thank you Mom for standing your ground on the name issue. 

I admittedly do have a bad habit of shortening people's names when I get comfortable with them.  It's old habit.  It's who I am.  I do it with my children, my hubby, my family, my students, other people's students and almost anyone else that I have daily/regular contact with.  Again, it's out of habit.  If you are one of those people who have inherited a nickname because of knowing me, I hope that is OK?  Well, regardless if its OK or not, I'm sorry if you don't like it.

As for my own kiddos and their nicknames, its hit or miss.  They all three have them but for very different reasons.
For Thomas, being our first, we wanted to call him by his given name: Thomas.  We didn't want Tom, Tommy, Tom-Tom, TJ (Joseph is his middle name) or anything of the like.  The only person who has ever called him something else was Ms. Deborah at his daycare.  She lovingly called him "T" and he took right to that name."  With as much as Ms. Deborah loved on Thomas and taught him... she can call him anything she likes. But "Thomas" is what he is called by everyone else.  However, his mama also calls him Goose (for silly goose), Bud, and Thomas Joseph.

For Abbigail, she seemed to earn a new nickname every week.  Don't get me wrong, we call her Abbigail a good chunk of the time, but her other names are abundant too.  It started with Thomas being able to say "Abby" and then even that got shortened.  Throw in all the nicknames from daycare and you have quite the laundry list:  Abby, Abbers, Ab, Abbu, Abbilicious, Sweet-pea. 

For Marilyn, despite only being a few months old, she too has earned a nickname or two.  Abby calls her "May-May" but the rest of us call her "Mear" (rhymes with Bear) or even "Mear Bear."  Poor girl.  I really do try and say Marilyn so that she doesn't have any identity issues later in life.

PS... For my "Thankful Thursday Thought"... I am thankful my in-laws are flying up for Thanksgiving today.  It will be so nice to be around family for the holiday.  They are our first guests and we certainly hope they have a great time with their grandkids.  I'm sure the next 10 days will be filled with lots of pictures and stories. 

No comments: