Thursday, November 3, 2011

Halloween Leftovers

In all my hast to get some (belated) Halloween pictures posted, I forgot to include some snippets & stories from our eventful evening:
  • As I do every year, I bought my candy the day OF Halloween.  The primary reason I do this?  I would graze on it everyday leading up to Halloween.  I just try and be proactive, not reactive to the candy.
  • I couldn't believe how much Abby refused to put on her Tinkerbell/Princess costume - she loves everything to do with Princesses.  Thank god we had a backup Floppy-Eared Doggy costume stored away.  In my opinion, she made an adorable puppy dog as did all the neighbors.
  • Both Thomas & Abby were in full Trick-or-Treating mode this year.  As we made our rounds through the snow-filled neighborhood, the kids said "hi" to everyone.  Thomas must have told every other kid he saw, "Hey, you look awesome in your costume!"  Mr. Social Butterfly.
  • In addition to him throwing out all the compliments that night, when we returned back to our house (after only 30 minutes because it was 28 degrees outside), Thomas & Daddy handed out our candy to the trick-or-treaters.  Thomas kept the door open (in our arctic room foyer) and yelled to all the passerbyers, "Hey, Happy Halloween you guys - we have great candy over here at our house!"  You don't think this is a sign he wants to be a used-car salesman?  It actually took all we had not to bust up laughing each time.
  • Last year, Abby rode in the wagon as we made our way around the neighborhood and only got out to go directly to the door.  This year, Abby was keeping up pretty good with Thomas as he tried to race from one door to the next.
  • I think Abby got more candy than Thomas did this year.  I think it was her cute, adorable, floppy-ears that let her bring home the prize.
  • Marilyn slept almost the entire time we were trick-or-treating.  And it was 28 degrees outside.
  • I have a rule in my house - Halloween candy must be gone after one week.  Because I don't have students to bring it to this year, in 4 more days I will be throwing out a lot of candy.  And for the record... the kids get a piece after lunch, after nap, and 2 pieces after dinner.  To me that is as much "sugar monster" as I can take each day.
  • In base housing, no one is allowed to put out any real pumpkins until Halloween day.  The rules also state that all pumpkins must be brought in or discarded by the end of the night.  Apparently bears, moose and foxes like to eat pumpkin.

No comments: