Thursday, September 15, 2011

Something to call her own

Since we have made the move up here to Alaska, I have been concerned that Abby has not been in any activity that has her socializing with little kids who are around her age.  I also have wanted her to have some kind of "fun" activity that she can call her own... just like Thomas has his preschool and it is his own.  So, with this in mind, I began my search around the area for something for Abby.  I wanted something that she would like and would hopefully remain interested in.  I also knew it needed to be something which helped burn off some energy.  Don't get me wrong, sitting in a little kids' art class or music class sounds wonderfully cultural and all... BUT she would just be sitting there.  That in itself defeats 1/2 the purpose of me taking her to such an activity. 

After searching for activities that include 2 year olds, I think I have found something that excites her, interests her and something that she might want to continue with... tumbling and gymnastics.  It's actually a Parent/Tot class that focuses on lots of activities with kids her age (18 months to 2.5 years) with mini-sized gymnastic equipment, mats, spring boards, etc.  It is actually part of a gymnastics center for all ages.  The teacher is fun and there is music and singing to go along with the week's themed focus.  The tumbling class is once a week and it is during preschool hours... so her brother is not part of it at all which I think is a really good thing for Abby.  Again... something to call her own where it is all about her (and not her siblings).
Last week's theme was fruit and Abby had a great time identifying all the apples, bananas, kiwis and pears that were stuck on all the different equipment as she became more and more comfortable and confident with the different activities.
This week's theme was good manners... which all the parents were happy about.  Who doesn't want their little one to get in the habit of saying "please and thank you" or taking turns or cleaning up (when an activity is done)?

Abby has a great time on this color ladder that she jumps from square (color) to square (color) on.  I usually sing the colors to her as she jumps from one to the next. 
There are low beams and high beams in the class.  The low ones she quickly walks across with her arms (or airplane wings as her brother calls them) out to her side.  However, in the two weeks we have been going, she has yet to want to walk across the high one (even with me holding her hand and guiding her.)  So in the meanwhile, she just likes to climb up the stairs to the top and then climb down the other side.  I guess this is her way of checking out the view and getting herself slowly comfortable.  But I'm pretty sure as she sees the other little kids her age (and size) have fun doing it and then jumping off at the end onto a big squishy mat... she will eventually want to also!
At the end of class...

No comments: