Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Getting back on the horse

Getting back on the horse is not always easy.  When you have stopped some sort of routine or even been unsuccessful at something, most times it is hard to resume whatever it is you were doing.  In my case, I'm talking about running. 

I stopped running exactly 10 months ago.  I stopped running because I was pregnant.  When I did stop running, I was in the best shape of my adult life.  I was running about 3-4 times a week in the early wee hours of the morning (aka: 4:30 am) or in the heat of the day after school.  I also was feeling the best I had felt physically, mentally and emotionally in a very long time.  Then I got pregnant and my running regiment came to a screeching halt.  Of course I don't regret that at all - I have a beautiful baby girl to show for my running sabbatical.  However, I'm ready to get back on the horse.
May 2010


This week I got back on the horse and started (painfully) the running routine again.  I won't lie - my legs felt like heavy stumps; my boobs (which are bigger because of breastfeeding) hurt as they bounced around; my right knee (which had ACL reconstructive surgery in college) ached; finally, my old lady hip hurt from all of the constant movement.  Basically, my body was yelling at me when I got done with my 23 minute runs.  However, I'm not letting this discourage me.  My goal is to get back to where I was (both running condition and my previous weight). I just know that it will be a lot of work given our move and my new role as stay-at-home-mom... but there is nothing that can't be accomplished when you put your mind to it and of course...when you get back on the horse!

No comments: