Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A rare morning of reflection

It's not very often at all that I have a few quiet moments to myself in the morning before the kids get up.  That is just how it goes with 3 young kids.  Usually from the moment THEY pop out of bed (notice I didn't say me), my "green light" is switched on and we go, go, and go.  My switch gets turned back off when they are all asleep, clean up around the house is complete and I'm relaxing with my hubby.  Don't get me wrong... it is wonderful and amazing... its just exhausting.  So, that brings me back to this rare morning when I am already showered, dressed, have eaten something light for breakfast and enjoying my cup of coffee in the most peaceful and quiet way all before 6am.

As I look ahead at the day, the week and even the next two months (of travel and transition in Alaska), I've come to realize about myself that I'm in a constant state of "go."  Even when I'm relaxing with everyone or playing with the kids, I'm either trying to multitask and get something else done or I'm thinking about the never-ending list of things to do.  It's almost like I never give my brain a rest.  There are few and far between times when I'm just living in the moment.  I guess I just feel like I'm always planning or getting ready for something or trying to be efficient with my time.  But, this past weekend there were so many moments (and even much longer than moments) when I just forgot about the craziness of moving, being in limbo and things not being in place/done... and I just lived in the moment with my hubby and kids.  Cherishing the giggles, laughs, squeals, kisses, hugs and coos was absolutely wonderful.  I need more of those moments.  I need to make myself turn "off" and live in the moments more often.

No comments: