Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Operation "Night-Night Chart"

I want to thank all of my girlfriends who answered me back in my desparate shout out for help about 2 weeks ago regarding my 2-year old who just wouldn't sleep through the night. Thomas had completely done a 180 turn-around from a child who easily slept 11-12 hours a night solid, to a child who was getting out of bed and coming into my room 3-4 times a night and usually there was a tantrum and lots of tears involved when I tried to put him back to sleep. I was so desparate to find out what other mommies had been doing in this situation. Anyway, with lots of advice and suggestions, I decided to impliment Operation "Night-Night Chart" with Thomas last night.

Here is the deal... if Thomas stays in his bed/bedroom all night (until the morning), then he will earn a sticker (of his choice). Once he has earned 3 stickers, he gets to choose a reward/prize. Of course I have already bought a few to get the ball rolling. To get things started last night, I explained it on his level with his words so that he would fully understand the plan. I thought he was excited when I showed him the new stickers I had bought, but once he saw the prizes/rewards, he was beside himself. I wanted to do that so he could see what he was working for right in front of him. Matter of fact, I have them displayed on Brian's tall dresser so he can glance at them and be reminded. We had great success on night #1 - he slept from 7:15pm to 5:15am! Good start! I can hope that it will continue...


No comments: