Friday, January 29, 2010

They say the darndest things

Thomas, Abby and me were out to dinner tonight with great friends of ours + their kids. As we were waiting for our food to arrive, the kids were busy coloring at the table and we were all busy chatting. We certainly weren't paying any attention to the different people coming into and exiting the restaurant. Well Thomas did.

As he was sitting next to me, I hear him say, "Mommy, look at Santa!" So I start looking over in the general direction that he is pointing at. I assumed he must be pointing at a Santa hat or some kind of leftover Christmas decoration, but I see nothing - so I go back to my conversation with the girls. Thomas is a persistant bugger and is now saying, "Mommy, look at Santa!" loud enough for the 8-10 tables of people in the restaurant to hear and look over. Aughhhh. So, I look up again in the general direction he is pointing at, but this time I lower my glance to where his finger is EXACTLY pointing. And then I see...



... the man who has a white (& a little gray) beard, a round jolly belly and is wearing suspenders with his pants and shirt. OMG is what is now quickly running through my head - Thomas is calling that poor man over there sitting with his friends/family, Santa Claus. My two girlfriends are ready to pee their pants (thank god their backs were to this look-a-like Santa Claus) and were of no help to me as I tried to tell Thomas that it wasn't Santa (in a low quiet voice so as to convince him to lower his voice). Finally, I said to Thomas, "That isn't Santa, that is someone's Grandpop sitting over there" and his reaction was a one of reflection... "oh MaMa" and carried on coloring while he waited for dinner to arrive. No awareness whatsoever that shock was still in my system even after the next 20 minutes. Kids say the darndest things.

No comments: