Monday, September 24, 2012

Michelle, the intern


It feels odd telling people that I'm doing an internship.  To someone who doesn't know me, it sounds like I'm in college, with no work experience, no real world/life experience, trying to figure out if this is something that I really want to do with the rest of my life.  To those that do know me, my 12 years of teaching history to high school teenagers, coaching girls soccer, and every other experience that happens with public education, I'm certain has been a great foundation for me as I finish my M.Ed in Education Administration and look to future opportunities to step into the role of school administrator. 
 
Let me explain what my current situation looks like when it comes to me being "Michelle, the Intern."  Unlike most of my peers who are in their internship, I am not currently teaching in a school.  With the Air Force relocating us from Florida to Alaska this last year and after teaching for 12 years in the same school (except for a short 2 year assignment overseas in the middle), I found myself in an odd predicament with trying to finish the final piece of this M.Ed without having a school to be in or a leadership team to learn from up here in Alaska.  This past summer, I approached the principal of a local high school who was eager & willing to take me on as a principal intern for this fall semester.  Thank goodness.

Because I do not have any teaching responsibilities, my schedule allows me to work whole days with my administrators, as opposed to just an hour before school, my planning period, after school or in the evenings at school events.  I am at school two days a week, all day.  Over the course of the 16 weeks this semester, my principal has me working closely with each of the four Assistant Principals (AP) so that I can observe, participate and even lead with the responsibilities of each of the APs.  Again... invaluable experience for sure.

I've said this before - kids are kids regardless of where you live.  But I would be remiss if I didn't admit that there is a noticeable difference between suburban NW Florida schools and an inner-city school in Anchorage.  For example, with a student population of approximately 1,600 - 65% of students are minorities, 44 different languages are spoken, 55% of students are economically disadvantaged (ie: live in poverty), there is only a 68% graduation rate, almost 10% of students drop out annually, and weekly there are alcohol/drug and assault incidents that result in suspensions and expulsions.  To say the least, I'm in a different environment than where I've been for the last 12 years.  But different is not bad; if anything, its necessary.  It's eye opening.  And working with such a diverse student (and faculty) population is such a learning experience for me.  Already, I've learned so much about different Alaskan, Asian and Island Pacific cultures.  The opportunity I have been afforded with this M.Ed internship is invaluable... in countless ways... all of which I will be able to take with me when I return to Florida when the Air Force sends us home.



No comments: