Saturday, May 15, 2010

Fun Fest 2010!

Saturday started early for the Heck household because of the Annual Navarre Beach Fun Fest 5K Run/Walk. We met our good friends Kim & Jeff there and had a great morning getting some exercise and had some fun at the festival! We had no idea that we would be there for 5 hours... but when it is a beautiful day & the fun just keeps happening... you can't help yourself!

Thomas & me stretching before the race. Not really sure why he is feeling the need to get limber - he enjoyed the race from a great seat in the running stroller... but I guess he saw me & wanted to join in. We talked about our different muscles and what they help us do each time we switched stretches... what a hoot he was.
Here we are at the starting line... Daddy was on "stroller patrol" this race so I ran solo and just enjoyed the view & my music. Brian later told me that both Thomas & Abby each took a short snooze while he ran. Oh to be young again...
Post-race: Brian, Thomas and Jeff checking out the final building efforts of the new Navarre Fishing Pier on the beach (old one was destroyed by Hurricane Ivan in 2004) while the big boys are enjoying the first of many post-race beers.
Abby opted for bananas & bagels for breakfast
Kim and me also enjoy a few "brew-ha-has" with all the other racers.


All of us as the festival starts to kick up. The race was good. I haven't been running in quite a while (although I certainly was doing good with power walking shortly after Christmas). Early spring was just crazy insane at work and then trying to get ready for Brian's return; I just couldn't manage to get on a running routine. But what better way to force yourself back into one (now that my other half is home) than to run a race. Being a competitor, I of course set a goal for myself - BUT maybe I was too ambitious when I just used former times I had gotten in old races to aim for. HMMMMMM... didn't work. I won't lie... I was a little disappointed. Brian quickly reminded me that the last time I ran was about 17 months ago which was right when I found out I was pregnant with Abby. OK... so when you put it that way, I guess I didn't do too bad.
But look at how the other 3 did:
Brian got 3rd in his age (and probably would have gotten 2nd but he was pushing a stroller with 2 munchkins); Kim got 1st in her age for speed walkers (she now has had the title for a 3rd year in a row); and Jeff got 1st in his age group! I'm not sure if they are simply celebrating in this picture or rubbing it in that I didn't get one... either way... I'm WAY excited for them!
Abby having fun up-top!
Who knew the trunk was so much fun?
Check out Abby's face - she is really wondering why in the world Thomas gets to enjoy a big yummy ice cream cone and she can't?????
Thomas clearly didn't like his treat! He practically licked the wrapper clean and I think this picture is proof of that!
Thomas LOVING all the different bouncy castles/games.
Abby taking a short morning nap while all the fun continues
Thomas discovered his favorite part of the Fun Fest... the big slide. I think he went on this about 25 times straight without a break.
Does his facial expression not capture it all?


No comments: