Friday, May 14, 2010

American Pride

I heard something tonight that I don't get to experience too often.

Maybe it's because when we go out to dinner (even in the middle of the week), Brian changes out of his uniform and into civilian clothes. Maybe it's because we live in an area that is heavily populated by military - 2 Air Force Bases within 8 miles of each other and 1 Navy Air Station just down the road 30 minutes - and even more retirees who decide this is "home" after they end their military careers. No one sticks out because everyone seems to have a connection to the military.

Whatever the reason... I was caught off guard tonight. As we sat down and got settled in our booth at a local restaurant, Brian still in uniform from a long day at work, an elderly man got up from his table and came right over to us. "MSgt, I want to thank you for everything you do for our country" are the words I heard as I dug through Abby's diaper bag. As I looked up, the grateful man had extended his hand and Brian met it with a firm handshake as he held Abby in his other arm.

Maybe it's because this man walked in Brian's shoes in his younger years and appreciated and valued the role that all military men & women play in todays world. Maybe it's because his grandson is serving overseas somewhere and doesn't get to see him often. Who knows.

Whatever the reason, hearing those words spoken to Brian put a lump in my throat in a matter of a second. I guess I'm surprised. I'm not new to the military lifestyle at all - quite the contrary. I grew up a military brat, my dad in the Air Force for 22 years. I saw my dad in his uniform everyday. Pride is something I have always felt seeing him in his Blues or BDUs. As a military wife, I also see Brian in his uniform everyday and the pride in him is just as strong. But what I felt tonight is something stronger than pride. I don't know what to call that feeling, but what Brian represents & stands for (in his uniform) to me and so many others is pure "American."

No comments: