Sunday, May 2, 2010

Our Paradise...KW

We're back. We are rested and feeling very rejuvinated now that we have spent 4 days in our paradise... Key West. I'm sure I have posted way too many pictures (that is an ongoing problem I have) but I'm sure you will have no problem getting the gist of our mini-vacation.
Just like our first trip in late 2008 to Key West, we opted to stay at a local B&B... this time our choice was the Key West Harbor Inn and it was absolutely fabulous! If you have never stayed at a B&B before, you are missing out. Think personal service, very comfy accomodations, fresh breakfast every morning pool side (at least in Key West), FREE Happy Hour (at this B&B), and an incredible location! If you are headed down to the Southern Most part of the US anytime soon, definately consider staying there but be warned... plan early... it is very popular!
Me & the Mr. ready for vacation...
... so bring on the SUN!
Can you tell this fisherman wants to be out on the water?
On Friday afternoon, we headed out on a boat with hopes of doing some Key West fishing. Boat was good (at least in the eyes of Captain Brian)... notice the name... "Boo Ya". The intentions were to fish for tuna, Sailfish or even some AJ....
Leaving Charter Boat Row... feathered friends lined the docks.
Heading out of the inlet harbor we happened to notice some very interesting boat houses (all built on barges)... not sure you insure that? Homeowners or Boat insurance?
Located right smack in the middle of the island is also Key West NAS (Naval Air Station) and wouldn't you know it... this is some of their base housing - on the inlet heading out to the Gulf. I know, I know... Brian is already doing some research to see about a position down here (fat chance, but he is looking). How wonderful is this?
My fisherman getting into his groove. Mind you, this is the first time he has been on a boat since returning... he really was like a kid in a candy store. Only thing better would have been Brian on OUR boat fishing in the Gulf. Mind you, the whole idea was to run offshore and really confirm all the wonderful reports about fishing in the Keys. Unfortunately...
... winds were horrible and the wave height off shore was 4'-6' (a bit too rough)... so we were stuck fishing inshore. That meant we were fishing with every other "Tom, Dick and Harry" AND worse yet... we had to fish for Tarpon. Brian and I confirmed that afternoon that it is NOT at all what we are interested in doing while on a boat for 4, yes 4 hours. We were in one spot and did not catch one damn fish. I won't even tell you how much we spent. It hurts to think about. Instead, I caught...
... a bird.
Yes, a bird. This stupid bird (Frigate) was trying to get all the cut up fish (chum) that the captain was throwing into the water and him and his buddies were nose diving right between our lines and wouldn't you know it... he got caught on my line. Damn. On top of that, as soon as we pulled him in to untie him from the line, a stupid Tarpon hooked on my line and helped himself to my bait. Stupid bird.
Dang it.
Yes, he is fine. Don't worry - he is off telling fishing stories with his buddies. He is still a stupid bird though for getting in my way.
Stupid Tarpon fishing...
See this smile? It's not because I'm really enjoying fishing... its because I'm with my sweetie and we are drinking beer together AND because I got a lot of sun that afternoon.
Crappy day fishing; good drinking and sun day; excellent sunset coming into the inlet.
Saturday Brian finally caved and agreed to go and rent bicycles with me and go check out the southern end of the island. Here he is tailing me (and talking smack most of the way). He probably won't admit this... but he really did have a good time with me and it was awesome to just ride down any street we wanted, stop anywhere and just be outside!
We stoppped for lunch a block from the SouthernMost Point at this great little cafe on the beach... any place that lets me see this as I'm eating and enjoying a beer with my sweetie is a good place!
Exhibit A & B (his and her beers)
Waiting for some good food. Speaking of food - we enjoyed an abundance of Conch Cerviche, Fried Conch, Shrimp, Tuna, Grouper and way too many beers, Mojitos and daquiris to think about. It was fantastic considering I do not drink very often (especially when Brian is gone... too much to do and be responsible for... namely my little munchkins) - we endulged in every way possible down here.
Exhibit C... OMG... yeap... saw a few of these down there. Brian and I just cracked up each time we thought of this guy (apparently he is a well known attorney on the island). I wonder if my sister works with any attorneys like this?


Back on our bike ride with Brian leading this time.

Saturday night at Sunset Pier


I'm sure Brian was wishing we were on the boat with these fine folks drinking some cold ones... but our spot wasn't too bad if this is what we saw.
Can you tell we have been sun-kissed (red noses and tan lines are a give away)?
The crowds waiting for the sun to set and the entertainers are doing crazy things...
Sunday morning... waiting for the taxi to arrive. We certainly looked like tourists (then again, everyone does) didn't we? It was an awesome couple days down there. I definately can see this becoming (if it isn't already) our annual getaway place that we go without children. Speaking of... a huge thank you to Grannie, Poppie & Nana for tag teaming and watching the kids while we enjoyed ourselves. We couldn't have enjoyed this without your enormous help. We love you.
One last Key West kodak moment together...
... and one more for good laughs!


No comments: