Sunday, March 15, 2009

A southern tradition

Mommy Blog - Those of you who know me well are aware that I am a military brat and have lived everywhere from overseas to east & west coasts. However, having been in Virginia and Florida now since 1985 - I'm pretty versed in southern ways. You know... sweet tea, "yes Ma'am, yes Sir", sweet tea, shrimp boils, sweet tea, and southern hospitality (can you tell I love sweet tea?). However, until last night, I had never experienced one of the deepest southern traditions - Cotillian. For those of you who are unaware, it is ettiquette and manners training. Kids down in the south do it from the time they are in middle school through high school. When they reach their senior year, they are "presented" (so to speak) to society at a Winter Ball. This is a formal ball - long white gowns for senior girls, white gloves, tuxedos with tails, etc.

OK, so you are probably wondering why I attended one of these fancy southern balls? I actually had the honor of presenting one of my senior boys - Bryce G. His parents are now stationed in Washinton State at Fairchild AFB and he remained here to finish off his senior year; unfortunately they were unable to come for this event. Anyway - it was a wonderful honor to be his "mother" that night, but as well to see so many of my students dressed so beautifully.

My Junior girls - Katie, me, Nicole, and Marlow
My seniors - Jason, Kayse, Bryce, Levi, Miller, Justin, me, Natalie, and Nick
Bryce and his "mother", me!

No comments: