Sunday, January 25, 2009

Old Lady plays in Alumni Game

A Late Post - It has been many years since we have had a Choctaw Alumni Girls Soccer Game, but this was the year! I apologize for the lateness in posting this - the game was actually the weekend before Christmas and it was a lot of fun! 13 of my former players plus me all played as the "Alumni" against our Varsity Girls Soccer Team. For those of you who don't go WAY back with me, I was the Varsity Coach for 8 years at Choctaw and this was an annual game that alumni, as well as current players always looked forward to. I think this year though, the alumni were especially anxious and excited to take the field for lots of reasons. Probably first and foremost, to prove to themselves that despite years of non-training and no practicing, they were still as talented and incredible with the ball as they were in high school. WRONG - that didn't happen for any of us and we all laughed at ourselves many times. I think the other thing that the alumni were trying to prove is "we" were as good as "they" were (although "we" are all in our 20s & 30s and "they" are teenagers who can run all day and not get tired). Face it - we are all just old! Despite scoring first, the final score was ugly! I'm sure I'm not the only one who needed Ben-Gay for my hurting muscles and required lots of Tylenol for a week after the game. Just pathetic!
Me and many of my girls. I'm not sure why I still call them that considering I can have a drink legally with almost every one of them and 3 of them have kids of their own - I guess the biggest reason is they still all call me "Coach" or "Sulli". Some things will never change. By the way - I'm in the back row, 2nd from the right.

Sheila McLaughlin, me and Thomas in a post-game picture. Ironically, Sheila is now a high school soccer coach and teacher and her kids all call her "Coach Mac"! And yes, Thomas was there with Brian the whole game. After the occasional kick of the ball, Thomas kept Brian busy going around the running track in the stadium and entertained many of the spectators with his goofyness and sillyness.

No comments: